Friday 30 March 2012

A workshop with Julie Arkell

I was very very excited a couple of months ago when I spotted a listing in Craft Magazine for a solo show of Julie Arkell's work. I rang up the gallery straight away and asked if any talks or workshops were planned, it turned out they were running a brooch making workshop for just £20. I booked it there and then - before they'd even put it on the website!
I'm a big fan of Julie's work, it's charming, funny, a little dark in places, and best of all it's mostly made with paper and glue.
The only problem was the workshop and exhibition were in Liverpool, which meant a very early start, on the Sunday that the clocks changed which made it feel even earlier!


I arrived at Bluecoat Display Centre a little bleary, and was stunned at what a lovely place it is, a real community arts space. It's been there since the 50s and is fabulous, I'd LOVE a place like it near me!


And the exhibition of Julie Arkell's work was just utterly charming.







After a little talk by Julie we went to the workshops space to get making. 
The brooches were in a style inspired by one Julie had seen at the Imperial War Museum, and were made in a wonderfully simple and effective way. 


We cut a shape from cardboard, wrapped it with wool, then stitched fabric to it. Then embellishments could be added.



The results were really lovely.


With the workshop over I headed back for another wander around the exhibition, and found what is my favourite little bit of Arkell embroidery so far - 


I throughly recommend paying the Bluecoat a visit!









1 comment:

Pixie said...

I adore Julie too, and also attended a creature workshop of hers back in march, it was a fantastic day and would really love to go to one of her 'making a scene' workshops, but they all seem to be miles off.

Your pictures of your day are just lovely.
Pixie

Related Posts with Thumbnails